Monday, March 19, 2007

20 Favourite Pop Songs

Carrying on with my musical musings, here's my list of my favourite pop songs. Unlike rock, pop is not really a genre, just a name given to popular vocal-driven songs of any era. Hence the presence of disco, soft rock and blues numbers in my list.

20. Michael Jackson - Billie Jean: Though I am no fan of Wacko Jacko, I can't deny his status as a performer. This song is my numero uno among Jackson's chart-busting success stories.

19. Bee Gees - Stayin' Alive: Falsetto never sounded so cool.


18. Rolling Stones - Satisfaction: The original bad boys' attack on the status quo finds its place on most lists. Deservedly so.

17. Eric Clapton - Tears in Heaven: Clapton's heart-rending eulogy to his son sure tugs at the heart-strings.


16. Madonna - Like A Virgin: The Queen of Pop reinvents herself every five years, but her earliest mega-hit still remains her best.

15. Wham - Careless Whispers: Silken magic. Sugary sweet melody, but works for me.

14. Whitney Houston - I Will Always Love You: For sure lung-power, Houston takes the cake in this one.

13. ABBA - The Winner Takes It All: Thank ABBA for the music...the magic lingers on.

12. Carpenters - Yesterday Once More: The siblings knew how to soothe the ears lovingly.

11. Roy Orbison - Oh, Pretty Woman: They keep on rediscovering this song every decade. Proof of its evergreen magic.

10. The Eagles - Hotel California: Whichever version you prefer, this song really rocks.

9. Carpenters - Top of the World: A really upbeat number that never fails to pick up my spirits.

8. ABBA - Mamma Mia: Another one from the Swedish group. No wonder only Elvis and the Beatles outsell them.

7. Simon and Garfunkel - The Sounds of Silence: Eerily beautiful.

6. Billy Joel - Piano Man: Though Uptown Girl and River of Dreams may find more takers, for me this is the quintessential Billy Joel number.

5. John Lennon - Imagine: Don't look for the Beatles in this list, but Lennon's immortal ode to world piece is a priceless pop gem.

4. That Thing You Do: This rocking number from the movie soundtrack about a fictional band never fails to set me foot-tapping.

3. ABBA - Dancing Queen: No really a dance number, even with that title. But one heck of a peppy tune.

2. Cliff Richard - Evergreen Tree: The bachelor boy's ode to immortal love is probably the most romantic song I've ever heard.

1. Simon and Garfunkel - Bridge over Troubled Water: This song haunts me. Probably something to do with Garfunkel's vocals. Or maybe it has something to do with those lyrics...

No comments: