Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Haiku Collection

Till a month or so back, all I knew about haiku was that it was the name of a brand of saris popular centuries ago. I do not even know if this brand still exists. But I recently had my senses ravaged by the beauty of this art form.

For those who are equally clueless, a haiku is a three line poem. The first line of a haiku has 5 syllables, the second line 7 syllables and the third line 5 syllables again. Thus a haiku is a three-line 17-syllable composition in the 5-7-5 format.

Explaining what a haiku is tough enough. Writing one is tougher still. Especially for some one who has no sense of awareness whether a word has two syllables or three syllables or seventeen for that matter.
But by far the toughest part is the actual poetry part of the haiku. A haiku is supposed to compress into a few beautiful words a very large expanse of meaning. For one who is totally untalented in poetry, attempting a haiku is nothing short of masochism.


Here are a few of my haikus. Or hokkus or hakka noodles, whatever you may choose to call my efforts.

Culinary:
Hate vegetables

All veg food is really sad
Why is it not meat?

Natural:
That was really cool

When we fell down from a boat
Did not break any bones!

Seasonal:
Brutal cold winter

Gives way to summer warm when
I light cigarette!

Sociological:
She wastes all her hours

Chatting with me all day long
On office bandwidth.

Autobiographical:
Pink tube of beauty

Fair and lovely I use now
To be less ugly.

Romantic:
Can real love blossom

Internet age and online
Anonymity?

1 comment:

Chhaya said...

when do we get a new one dude? write a poem...